An old fall favorite made a little healthier! This recipe uses half the sugar of most recipes, and has extra fiber and protein with the addition of seeds. The result is a salty, sweet and hearty snack treat!
- 16 cups popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sesame seeds (can substitute chia seeds)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Lightly spray bottom of large roasting pan with oil.
- Pop popcorn and place in pan.
- Add pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and half of sesame seeds to pan – do not mix yet, as the smaller seeds tend to slip through to the bottom of the pan.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, butter and cream of tartar to a medium saucepan.
- Melt mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue cooking at a boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, baking soda and other half of sesame seeds.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and seeds, and stir to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle about half of salt on caramel corn, mix, then sprinkle other half of salt and mix again.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring about every 15 minutes.