Growing up my family always had pancakes or French toast on weekends, and we’ve continued that tradition with our kids. I remember how fun it was to help make the breakfast and now I see it in my 3 year old when he gets so excited to get out his stool and do his part!
I love making pancakes from scratch instead of from a mix because it’s just as easy, tastes much better and isn’t loaded with artificial ingredients such as Red 40. Why is it necessary to color pancakes? Yikes…
I’ve made many, many different pancake recipes over the years, some healthy and some not (after all, it is a breakfast with the word ‘cake’ in it!). Sometimes I use all whole wheat flour, sometimes I do half whole wheat and half all-purpose. Using whole wheat flour adds fiber and protein, providing a healthier and heartier breakfast that takes longer to digest. This means your kids won’t be starving an hour after eating these pancakes as opposed to the normal ‘cake’ pancakes. And, as an expert, picky pancake eater, I have to say they are delicious!
I usually double the recipe and bring extras along for a healthy snack, or freeze them for a quick, weekday breakfast.
Fluffy and Hearty Pancakes
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- Combine milk with vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes
- Combine flour, flaxseed meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and butter into “soured” milk. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and mix just until the lumps are gone.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. I like to flick a little water on the skillet or griddle and if it sizzles it’s hot enough to start cooking. Pour batter and cook until bubbles appear on pancake. Flip and cook until browned.
Because there is butter in the batter, I don’t add any extra on top – the pancakes already have a buttery flavor. Enjoy!
Adapted from original recipe for Fluffy Pancakes by Kris, allrecipes.com