I originally discussed shredded chicken for kids in my Kid Friendly Chicken Enchilada post. It has become one of our most popular posts on Kidamentals which has led me to writing a new recipe focusing on Instant Pot shredded chicken that can be used in many different recipes.
When it comes to kids, simplicity is best. And I mean simple ingredients and simple to make given our limited time : ))
Whether you prefer cooking your shredded chicken in an Instant Pot or a Crock Pot, you’ll find this recipe quick and delicious to keep your kids asking for more.
Oh, and I’d highly recommend cooking extra and freezing it with the juices. Shredded chicken tastes great when reheated!
Instant Pot (link) Shredded Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Cooking Enchiladas or Quesadillas for Kids? Try adding 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning or replace broth with jar of salsa.
- Cooking Italian food for Kids? Try adding a dash of Oregano, Basil, and Cream.
- Spray the Instant Pot inner pot with light coat of oil.
- Add all ingredients. (You can stir it, why not? Or don’t stir it, why bother?)
- Put your lid on (of course)
- Set the valve for sealing.
- Cook on Manual – HIGH
- For cooking time, it’s best to use your Instant Pot’s recommended times and test with a meat thermometer. I have found the following times to work great!
- 16 Minutes for Frozen
- 12 Minutes for Thawed
(I must recommend this Meat Thermometer now. It has been life changing. I swear by it!)
Once the cooking time is over, allow the pot to natural pressure release for 10 minutes or so. Then, carefully open the valve to remove any excess steam.
Turn the Instant Pot off and shred the chicken. I recommend shredding the chicken in the Instant Pot by simply using two forks. Why dirty another dish?